Monday, January 11, 2010

First day at NJH

I had a fantastic weekend and I feel newly energized for the week ahead. On Friday, I skipped my morning class (great start to the quarter- ugh) and slept in. When I got up, I cleaned the house a bit until Hope got up. It's actually the first time we really saw each other because she's been so busy. We both had rough weeks, so we decided to go do some fun girl stuff together. We went shoe shopping, got manicures, and stopped at a little cafe for a snack. By the time we got home, Daniel was home and Eric was finally up so the four of us spent the evening hanging out. It was so much fun! I LOVE my new roomies :-) All four of us went to some friends' house for beer pong and hookah, though we didn't participate in either activity- I hate beer and I hate smoking. Daniel left early Saturday morning to go skiing with some of his fraternity brothers so I took it upon myself to reorganize all our closets. It made a big difference. We had two big boxes full of stuff to go to goodwill, and I feel like we have a lot more space for storage. Hope and Eric spent the day out to lunch with London friends and then they went shopping for stuff to decorate their rooms and bathroom. That evening the four of us put together this incredible clock. It's made up of 8 1 foot square mirrors arranged in a flower shape overlapping on each other. Then we pasted numbers and dashes in a circle around the edge and put a clock in the very center. It was really scary putting it together because we assembled it with sticky tape. It didn't seem very sturdy, but it's still on the wall right now and it looks amazing. Sunday morning, Daniel Hope and I took Jackson for a walk to the park. It was the first beautiful day we've had in a while so we enjoyed it very much. That wore Jackson out so much he slept the entire rest of the day. Hope and I went to the movies and saw The Young Victoria. We both loved it. I am so happy to have a girl to go do things with! Daniel might go shoe shopping with me, but he would never get a manicure with me and he wouldn't go see The Young Victoria. On Sunday night I pretty much spent the whole night trying to stay calm and prepare for my first day at work.

As monday got closer, I actually calmed down a bit, though I was still really nervous. I woke up extremely early this morning and got ready while everyone else slept. Daniel actually got up and gave me a big hug and wished me luck- encouragement that I really needed. I had a bit of a rough start because I couldn't get the ice off the windshield. I sprayed deicer and scraped it off with my ice scraper. Then as I was driving down our street, I used the windshield wiper fluid to spray the windshield and hopefully get some of the fog off. And I realized that the fluid was instantly freezing to the windshield because it was only about 20 degrees outside. That was a little unproductive and I felt dumb. But once I got on the road, it was only 10 minutes before I was there. I had no idea where I was supposed to go once I got there. I went into the first building I could find, found the first desk with a person there, and asked her where new employees were supposed to go. She gave me excellent directions and I ended up at HR. I filled out a ton of paperwork and within 30 minutes, I was on my way home. Everyone was so nice and I was so relieved to be done with it. From the paperwork I have gleaned that a) I will be working with animals, b) I will be working with blood, and c) if I make some incredible discovery, National Jewish Health will financially compensate me. Like that would ever happen lol. I'm more excited than nervous now so that's a relief.

Week 2 is going to be great! I can tell already :-)

No comments: