Saturday, November 14, 2009

Week 10

I am done with all my labs! I'm so happy!! Labs are the worst: they are so stressful, and no matter what I always lose points even when I think I am doing everything right. I took a final exam in biology lab last Wednesday, so I'm completely done with that and I just finished my last organic chemistry lab write-up! The first two quarters of organic chemistry lab were really really hard. Every Monday I would dread going to lab. There were always things that I didn't know how to do, or something wouldn't work right and I didn't know how to fix it, or I didn't read directions close enough and I screwed something up. Quite often I wouldn't get the right product, or any product at all! It was a lot of work. Finally this quarter I figured it out. I was able to relax and do what I needed to and most of the time it worked out. I'm so proud of myself for working through it and really learning how to problem solve. But even so, I'm very glad I'm done. Of course I'll have another lab next quarter. Actually, three labs.

Yesterday I had my annual check-up and there were a few little complications so I have to go back for an ultrasound next week sometime. I don't want to go into details (I'm sure nobody wants to hear details) but there was about 15 minutes when I thought I may have to have a very painful procedure done. I started breathing really heavy and panicking and my doctor (actually, she was a nursing student) was asking me if I was okay. I told her I was just really nervous and I didn't want to have anything done. She consulted with my real doctor, her supervisor, and they decided to refer me to radiology to get an ultrasound. I've never had one before, so I don't really know what to expect. I just really hope everything's okay. They also did a routine pregnancy test just to be sure, and I surprisingly got a little nervous. I know that there's very little chance I could be pregnant, but you never know, right? It was negative, but needless to say it was a very stressful "routine" appointment!

Yesterday Daniel and I took Jackson to Petsmart. He chews up his toys and flings cotton all over the house, so we wanted to see if we could find some really durable toys he would like. Just our luck, there was a big adoption drive happening which means there were kennels of dogs set up in the store and it was a Saturday so it was crazy busy! Jackson went nuts. He was pulling really hard on the leash. An employee asked us if he could help us find something and Jackson jumped up on him. That's something we've been working on, but he just doesn't get it. Every time we come home, he jumps up to greet us. I was so embarrassed. This guy was a trainer so he told us about the training classes they have there. I told Jackson "down!" and the guy said to Jackson, "Oh, they're confusing you already." Then he told me that "down" means lie down, and "off" means get off. I was really embarrassed. It's so frustrating because we are trying really hard and at home he will sit and lie down and stay and all of that, but if there's a million people and barking dogs and toys and bones and treats everywhere, of course he's a little distracted. But Daniel and I got some tips to work on the jumping up thing so hopefully in the next week he will get better manners. I can just picture him jumping on Grandma when she comes over for Thanksgiving. That would not go over well.

I'm also worried because we let Jackson sit on the couch with us so we can cuddle while we're watching TV or something. But at my parents' house, they don't want him to. So he has to learn that it's not okay there. Most of all, I don't want my dad to discipline him. I HATE the way my Dad yells at dogs and children to get them to behave. I don't believe that yelling is a good method. And my dad has this need to assert his authority over everyone and everything. Seriously, every time we talk on the phone he says "well you tell Jackson that his grandpa Burt isn't going to let him jump all over the furniture. If he does then he's going to have one less leg" or something like that. He constantly threatens to hurt Jackson. I know that it's just threats, but it bothers me! Why does he have to say stuff like that? He's a puppy! Well I'm completely off topic now, but my point is that I'm nervous about taking Jackson to my parents' house.

I'm going to go bake some cookies. :-)

No comments: