Monday, November 9, 2009

My sister!

My sister is here, and we're having a blast! It's been way too long since we've seen each other. As we get older, I enjoy spending time with her so much. And it was nice that Mike came too, he has been really fun to hang out with. We're so lucky that our whole family gets along so well.

Anyways, we went to the zoo yesterday. We were planning on going because we had free passes. When we drove there, traffic was crazy and then we figured out that it was free zoo day. And on top of that, it was a rare beautiful day this time of year in Denver, so everybody decided to go to the zoo. It was fun anyways. It seemed like all the animals were out and active. Maybe that's because I'm used to the Phoenix zoo where all the animals are laying in the shade so they don't die of heat stroke. That evening Nicole took us all out to the Melting Pot to celebrate our birthday. It was so much fun. We each got a birthday card signed by all the waiters. It was wonderful to feel so special not only because it was our birthday, but because we're twins. Growing up, I thought it was so unfair that I had to share my birthday with someone and everyone else got to have that day as their own special day. But now I think it is so special that I get to share it with someone. The maitre d' came over to our table and asked us about why we were here and where we were from and all. We told him that we were twins celebrating our 21st birthday and that Nicole was here in Denver visiting us because we go to DU. He asked to see our IDs (though somehow he made it sound more like he was excited that we were 21 than he was "carding" us) and told us we could each get a free shot from the bar. We had already ordered cocktails for ourselves, so those came out and then a guy brought over 2 bright green shots. It was called a Jamaican 10 speed and it was delicious! I think I drank a little too fast, because when our entree came out I was feeling a little drowsy. But that food soaked the alcohol right up! We ate so much I thought my stomach was going to burst. It was so fun to celebrate with my sister and our boys. I think they were a little sad they couldn't drink with us, but that will change in another month for Daniel, and 6 months for Mike.

Today Nicole and Mike met me on campus for lunch and we had dinner together. They actually sat in on my biology lecture and then I showed them around my lab. It was so funny, as soon as Nicole left 3 of my friends looked at me and were like "are you twins?!!" Yesterday we had a discussion about whether we still look identical. We think we look so different now, and so does Daniel. But I think for people that don't know us really well, or don't know that I'm a twin, they were really surprised when they saw her. And even though we've lived apart for 2 1/2 years now (that's so sad!) I'm surprised that we still have so many of the same mannerisms. Nicole spent the afternoon painting Mike white and gold for the football game. It's in the 40s tonight, so I imagine he's a little cold. I don't think he cares though. They were both so excited to go to the game; I know they're having a great time. I'm going to miss them when they go home tomorrow morning. But I have to remind myself that I will see Nicole at Thanksgiving and again for our trip to Vegas and Christmas, and then the family reunion in California. So we'll see plenty of each other in the next few months. Maybe enough that we'll actually start arguing again (just for old time's sake lol)

No comments: