Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Hollywood

Well I haven't been posting because I have been away from my computer for four days (gasp!).  Thanksgiving was wonderful, if a little boring.  Daniel came over to my house and we ate one dinner, and then we both went to his house and had another dinner.  The food was delicious as usual.  And it was nice to spend time with my family, but for some reason the conversation was unusually boring this year.  

The next morning my mom, Aaron, my grandparents, and me squished into a small car and drove to LA.  We got there around 3pm and went to Hollywood boulevard to do all the touristy stuff.  I have been to LA many times, but I have never actually walked on Hollywood so it was all so exciting for me!  We saw the Pantages Theater, the Chinese Theater, and the Kodak Theater.  My mom and I went shopping.  Then my uncle Paul called and we met him, my Aunt Sandy, my cousin Cedar, and her husband Raffi at this awesome italian restaurant near our hotel.  Cedar and Raffi just had a baby on October 27 ( my mom's birthday coincidentally) so she was tiny!  My grandma and my mom held her for a while during dinner.  I didn't get too much time to speak with anybody because there were so many people and it was kind of overwhelming.  I haven't seen any of these people in like 4-5 years.  

The next morning Uncle Paul came to our hotel and led us on an adventure!  We drove through Beverly Hills and Bel Air to see all the fancy houses.  We drove on Sunset Boulevard and Rodeo drive.  Rodeo Drive had crystal chandeliers on the sidewalk!  Then we ended up at the ocean.  I LOVE the ocean.  We went to Santa Monica Pier and met Cedar, Raffi, and Vanessa at the pier.  I was really excited to see Vanessa.  She's closer to my age (24) and very outgoing and fun.  We had lunch at this little mexican restaurant.  Cedar went to feed Chloe while me, my mom, Aaron, Vanessa, and Raffi went on all the carnival rides on the pier. We did the ferris wheel and the roller coaster.  It was really fun and I finally became comfortable with everyone.  To end the afternoon, Aaron and I wanted to walk on the beach and go down to the water.  It was COLD!  We had dinner and then went back to the hotel to change clothes.  That night we went to this place called the Magic Castle.  It's a club for magicians.  To be a member, you have to pass a really hard test to prove that you're a really great magician.  Every famous magician was a member (Houdini, David Copperfield, Siegfried and Roy, etc.).  They could go there and exchange tricks and stuff.  Now you can go only if you're invited by a member.  So my Uncle Paul knows a member and he gave us a private tour.  It was really crowded.  People were having bachelor parties and birthday parties, and everyone was drinking a lot!  He took us from room to room and showed us around.  In each room there is a bar or tables where there are different magicians doing close-up magic.  It's so cool because you're sitting right there.  So one guy asked me to cut the deck, pick a card, show it to everyone, and all that.  You can order drinks and some people eat dinner there too.  And there are a few different theaters where magicians put on shows for an audience.  But you have to get in line like 45 minutes before to get a seat.  We only got into one show, but we got to see lots of other little shows at the bars and stuff.  If you ever get a chance to go, you definitely should.  

On Sunday we spent the morning at Griffith Observatory.  We could see the whole city and the Hollywood sign from the top of the hill.  Inside it was a free museum that explained all about astronomy.  I loved it, but that's probably because I love science.  We had lunch and went to a new mall that opened up in Glendale, California.  They have a trolley that drives through the mall and a Christmas tree that's like 40 feet tall!  It's kind of like Kierland, but with a huge fountain like Disneyland!  All the stores were super expensive (Tiffany's,  Coach) so we didn't really buy anything.  Then we went back to the hotel to get ready for Vanessa's wedding.  She was getting married in the Celebrity Centre which is one of scientology's big buildings in Hollywood.  We went up to the hotel room (in the Celebrity Centre also) where all the girls got ready and took pictures.  The ceremony was really small, only about 40 chairs.  It was outside by a waterfall.  Vanessa was crying when she walked down the aisle.  Her husband looked like he was 16, but he was really 20. He's very shy and quiet, so I didn't really get to know him at all.  The ceremony was full of a bunch of scientology stuff that I didn't know, but the basic idea was the same as our weddings.  The reception was just a few feet away inside the building.  It went very fast, immediatly they cut the cake, threw the bouquet, did toasts, and first dances.  By 8:00 everyone was leaving.  Even her dad left before it ended.  He had to go to work.  Unbelievable, huh?  But that's scientology.  We got some pictures of the family (minus her dad) and that was it!  Paul set us up with a tour of the building, which actually turned out to be a sales pitch for scientology.  Our tour guide took us into an office and showed us a bunch of movies about scientology.  They were ridiculous and my mom, brother, and I actually laughed out loud at how ridiculous it was.  Then she demonstrated the e-meter on my brother.  Those people are crazy.

We drove home yesterday.  It was a loooong drive and I was happy to get my own room back.  Overall, it was an awesome trip.  I love my family and it was really fun spending time with them.  And I love California!  And I love weddings!  

Speaking of weddings.... Daniel picked out my ring.  And my Aunt Shirley is giving me great grandma's diamond.  So it seems I'll be getting engaged quite soon!  I can't wait!

No comments: