Monday, September 23, 2013

We have a Walker!

We had an incredible weekend full of a very smiley, giggly, and well-rested boy.  But the big news is that my silly little boy is now walking!

He's been right on the cusp of walking for a few weeks now.  As long as he was holding onto an adult hand or his walker or anything really, he was walking perfectly.  He was even bearing all his own weight and balancing on his own two feet.  But as soon as he let go, he would immediately flop down onto his hands and crawl.  I was convinced that it was just a confidence issue.  Once in a while we would trick him and he would stand for a few seconds, but he never took steps.  Until last Monday.  After his surgery he took his first steps- three baby steps right into his Dada's arms.  But even after that he was afraid.  Every time we tried to work on walking with him, he would get mad and go boneless.  Then the whining would start and forget it.  Until yesterday.  Something just clicked.

We were in the living room playing with his toys.  One of his toys is a set of stacking cups that can be snapped together into balls.  I put a little bell inside and he absolutely loves the massive amount of noise it makes.  It was just enough motivation for him.  I rattled the ball and he took a few steps towards me and fell into my arms.  I stood him back up and faced him towards his Dada across the room.  And he did it again!  He walked a few steps across the room.  We did it over and over again and Elijah kept taking steps!  I was so surprised and so very proud.  It sounds ridiculous- proud of my baby for learning to walk just like every other human that has ever lived.  But it's true.  I was so very proud of him.  We didn't get his first steps on tape, but we were fortunate enough to get video of the moment he truly began walking.  It's not perfectly in focus, and I look absolutely ridiculous shaking his toy ball and screaming with excitement, but I don't care.

The feeling when he took his first steps across the living room is completely indescribable.  It was like when you're on a roller coaster going over a big drop.  That exhilarating, shocking, intensely happy feeling.  It's exactly why I love being a mom.

This weekend reminded me over and over again why being a mom has made me happier than anything else in the world.  Friday evening we went out to eat with a friend we haven't seen since high school!  Elijah got his first kids' meal (a pizza) and he ate the entire thing.  I went to bed really early on Friday night (like 8:30 early) so I woke up happy and well-rested before Elijah did!  It made such a difference.  I started my Saturday showered and energized and excited for the weekend.  Elijah took a really great 2 hour nap that morning, and he woke up very happy.  Daniel went out golfing in the afternoon, so it was just me and Elijah for a few hours.  We went to the library where Elijah pushed a little kiddie chair all over the place.  He was so content pushing that chair around, so I just relaxed and let him play.  He also loved sweeping all the magnetic letters off the magnet board.

Playing at the library
 Then we went to Costco and did some grocery shopping.  After that it was time for his nap.  Since he took such a great nap that morning, I was afraid he wouldn't go down easily for his afternoon nap.  And I was right.  After rolling around his crib for 30 minutes, he started to whine, and then cry.  I knew that if I went in there and picked him up he would pass right out.  And since I had nothing better to do, and sitting in a dark cool room rocking my baby for a few minutes sounded like a delightful Saturday afternoon activity, that's what I did.  I held him and played on my phone, and closed my eyes, and just enjoyed that time.
Napping in Mama's arms

After about 30 minutes Daniel was home and we had to get ready to leave for dinner at a friend's house.  So I gently woke him up and he was a happy boy!  We had dinner with friends from church.  Elijah was more than happy to play with their daughter's toys.  She is only about 9 months older than Elijah, so they get along great.  Elijah was also happy to eat a whole piece and a half of lasagna at dinner!  By then it was his bedtime so we excused ourselves and drove home.  He was very tired, so after a short bath he fell asleep very quickly in his crib.

The next morning he slept until almost 7am!  That has happened exactly ONE time in the past 4 or 5 months!  It felt like a miracle!  Just last week he was waking up at 5:30 or 5:45 every morning!  And he woke up incredibly happy.  AND he went down for his morning nap quickly and easily at the normal time.  He got a good one hour nap, we went out and had some family fun at a local neighborhood fair, and then he took a fantastic two hour afternoon nap!  I don't know if it's the tubes in his ears, or that he's walking now, or something else, but he has been sleeping so well lately.  I think he is going through a major growth spurt and development spurt.  He has been eating a ton (and pooping A TON) too, so I'm thinking it's probably a growth spurt.  Regardless, I am enjoying it.  The extra sleep has left him very happy, smiley, and easy-going.  As he gets older, we have more and more fun.  This weekend he even gave me a hug for the first time ever!  He came up to me, put his arms around my neck, and laid his head on my shoulder.  Completely unsolicited.  I just loved it.

This weekend was just full of magical family moments.  I am so lucky to have my incredible family.

No comments: