Thursday, September 12, 2013

Mischief

Last night was one of those nights where I put Elijah in his crib and left the room feeling like the luckiest person in the whole world for being his Mom.  He was such a delightful little boy yesterday evening.  We've been cutting out his bottles, so he's down to just one before bed.  He actually doesn't seem that interested in it most of the time, but he's not getting enough milk during the day yet so I want to encourage him to drink as much as possible before bed.  Anyways, he sat on my lap while Daniel read us a story and drank his bottle.  Every once in a while, he would pull it out of his mouth, look up at me, and say "Da!" or "a-dah!"  And I would nod and act interested and then he would go on drinking his bottle.  His speech is sounding more and more like conversation (although it's still complete baby gibberish).  This morning, he said something and then started giggling.  Daniel started laughing too, so I asked him what was so funny.  He told me very matter-of-factly that Elijah just told a joke.  He said, "couldn't you tell?"  The two of them.  They make me so happy.

This morning Elijah was similarly adorable.  I had to run downstairs to get my rain coat since it was absolutely pouring outside (for the second day in a row).  I left Elijah in the kitchen.  When I came back upstairs, he was crouched in front of the dog's food bowl, picking up handfuls of dog food, and shoving them into the heating vent in the floor.  Oh my goodness, he is most definitely a toddler.  Somehow in that time he also got this really black dusty stuff in his hair.  I had to comb it out and it was really sticky!  The comb has all this black stuff in it now.  I have no idea where it came from or how he did that.

I drove him to school and when we got there it was still pouring rain.  I zipped up my rain coat, put my hood over my head, and got out.  When I opened the passenger's door, Elijah looked at me and laughed!  He laughed at me!  He thought the hood was so funny.  I unbuckled him and when I carried him out into the rain, he huddled up against me.  It was so sweet and kind of surprising.

Every single day brings surprises like these.  I would love to know what is going on inside his little head.  Because when I see glimpses of his thoughts through his actions, I am absolutely delighted.

No comments: