Monday, January 14, 2013

Rosen Family Weekend

Another super fun weekend.  Nothing in particular happened, just spending time together as a family.  It was super cold outside (highs in the teens and lows below zero) so we mostly stayed inside where it was warm.  I feel like I just can't get enough of Elijah.  When he's awake, I want to be playing with him.  When he's crying, I want to comfort him.  When he's asleep, I want to cuddle and rock him.  I wonder if every mom is this enamored with her baby.  I hope so. 

By Friday evening I was feeling very drained of energy.  I knew I needed to use this weekend to get some rest, and I did!  On Friday night Elijah slept from 7pm-7:30am straight without a sound.  It was wonderful.  I actually got up Saturday morning and got some things done before he woke up.  He slept well again on Saturday (from 10:30 until 6am straight).  Sunday night was not so great.  He has a really bad cough so I wonder if that was waking him up.  Or it could have just been a bad night.  He hardly napped at all on Sunday too.  He usually sleeps about one hour in the morning sometime, about 2 hours in the middle of the day, and one hour again in the afternoon.  On Sunday he slept for 30 minutes in the morning, skipped his middle of the day nap altogether, and then finally slept for an hour right before bedtime.  Then he cried for 90 minutes before we finally just put him in his crib and let him cry himself to sleep.  Less than 30 minutes later and he was out.  It was a really difficult 30 minutes though :-/.  Overall his sleep has gotten much better.  We're still swaddling him, and most nights he ends up sleeping in his swing.  Our motto is "do what works."  And right now, that's what works.  

This morning Elijah fell asleep in the car on the way to school.  When we arrived, I noticed that his little fingers were wrapped around the dinosaur's hand.  He fell asleep holding hands with his dinosaur!  So cute.  The other completely adorable thing he does right now is stroke things.  When I hold him and rock him when he's not swaddled, he lifts up his arms and rubs my face, my hair, and my shirt over and over.  Last night he was in the car and he was stroking his fleece blanket.  When I pulled the blanket away, he was content to stroke my hand and sleeve instead.  When I took that away, he stroked his own clothing and the car seat straps.  And this morning I had him in the bathroom with me while I was getting ready.  I was blow drying my hair and I felt his tiny hand stroke my ankle over and over again.  He must find it comforting.  

I love discovering new things about my baby boy.  I love him more than anything in the whole world.

No comments: