Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Unexpected Opportunity

Last week, I had a very unexpected opportunity present itself. I got a facebook message from someone I met back in April. I was put into contact with her through a DU and Theta Chi alumnus. He told me that one of his friends told him about a job opening that I might be interested in. So I applied for the job, and got an interview. This was my first of many interviews to come. It went great. In fact, I remember thinking that I really fit in well with the people there. Like I could really picture myself working there. But, I didn't get a job offer. I think the main reason is that they needed someone right away, but I couldn't start until I graduated in June. So they hired someone else and I kept looking. Well, clear out of the blue I got a facebook message from the same girl who I originally talked to about the position. Her PI (the person in charge of the whole lab) was looking again, and she wanted to know if I ever found a job, or if I was interested. I responded back telling her that I did find a full-time position with my old lab, but that it was a research technician job, and not a PRA job. For that reason, I am interested in any PRA job they have open. I also told her that I just submitted my graduate school application and that if I am accepted, I will be starting that program next June. I didn't hear back from her for about a week. I assumed that because I already had a job with another lab on the same campus, and because I was hopefully starting graduate school in 9 months, that she wouldn't want to pursue it further. So I was very surprised when she responded yesterday asking for my email address so she could send me more information about the job. I tried not to get too excited, because in my experience NOBODY wants to hire someone for just a year, and even LESS people want to hire someone for just 9 months!

So in her email about the job (which I am extremely qualified for by the way) she asked for me to send her an updated resume and references. This posed a problem. All of my references before were people in the Schwartz Lab. But I can't put down my current employer as a reference- then they'll know I'm interviewing for another job! So I called Judy. She's not my employer, and she's leaving the lab in December so she doesn't have a huge interest in the future of the lab. I also trust her. She was almost more excited about it then I was! She said it was a fantastic opportunity and I should absolutely take it, and she would be happy to be a reference. So I emailed back last night with my resume, references (I also included Daniel's Mom as a personal reference) and a informal cover letter. And this morning I got an email back!

They want to know a little more detail about my experience, and also about my current status here on campus. I think she wants to know how easy the transition would be. I wouldn't have to go through new employee orientation, and jump through all the hoops to work in the vivarium because I've already done that. So I think they will be happy that my answer to most of her questions was "yes!" Also, she explained that the position would be open September 15th and that they are currently working with the HR department to see if they can bypass posing the job listing altogether and just have me alone apply. To me, that sounds like they are ready to just hire me without even looking for anyone else!

I cannot believe my luck. I interviewed 6 months ago, and now they have pursued me to hire me for a new position. I would get a promotion and almost assuredly a pay raise. I won't take the job if it isn't higher pay. Right now I'm a research technician. Almost everyone on campus is a PRA- professional research associate. The reason I'm a research technician is because at National Jewish (where we were when I got hired), they don't hire people right out of college as a full PRA. Instead, they hire you as a "trainee". At UCDenver (where I am now), research technician is the equivalent of a trainee. So they hire me as this special position so they can pay me an insultingly low wage just because I'm right out of college even though I have a full 18 months of experience. I think it also has to do with the fact that they are expecting me to leave in June for grad school. So it's a short-term position as well.

At first, I was pretty anxious about all of this. I love my lab, I love my employer, and I feel like it's pretty rude to just leave when the first opportunity arises. It took me a few hours to get over that guilt. But, here are the reasons I am using to justify my pursuing this new position. First, it's a promotion and a pay raise- nobody can argue with that. I think my PI will understand, especially because she's admitted to me that they don't pay me enough. Second, the lab will be fine without me. I'm finishing up my fourth week of being bored out of my mind 75% of the time. Things are just starting to pick up, but I'm definitely not leaving them with massive amounts of work to do without me. Third, we just hired another mouse technician. She starts on August 15, which will give us a full month to transition her into all of my responsibilities. And I think I'll be able to finish my current experiment by then.

Oh my goodness, I have no idea how this happened! I feel so fortunate in this economy to have a full-time job and have another lab fully pursuing me for another position. Thank you Jesus!


No comments: