Friday, August 26, 2011

Lab Happy Hour

Work has been absolutely crazy this week. I'm right in the middle of 3 projects. Even though my boss doesn't know it, I'm trying hard to finish as much as I can in the next 2-3 weeks. It will be really hard to leave work unfinished. I'm the kind of person that needs closure. I don't think I will be able to finish completely, but at least I can find a good stopping point. I've also been keeping a very detailed lab notebook because I know that whoever takes over for me will need that information. And unfortunately when I took over for Laura, she had no lab notebook. So if I had a question there was nothing to go off of. I emailed her a lot in those first few weeks.

Since we've gotten back from Phoenix, we have been busy almost every day. On Tuesday, we went out to dinner with friends to welcome back one of Daniel's fraternity brothers who spent the last few months sailing around the world (tough job, right?). Also on Tuesday, Daniel's bank got robbed. While he was working. That was absolutely terrifying. At first when he called me at work and told me "we got robbed," I thought he was talking about our house! I freaked out and wanted to know what was taken, but Daniel corrected himself and said that the bank got robbed. Then my thoughts immediately turned to whether Daniel was okay. Before I had a chance to ask, he told me that he was fine. I was in the middle of something really important at work so as much as it killed me, I had to ask Daniel to call me back in 5 minutes. When we finally got a chance to talk again my first question was if there was a gun. When Daniel said no, I felt so much better. So many things could have gone wrong. I wanted to drive over there and give Daniel and big hug and see for myself that he was okay. But I had to just go back to work. It was hard to concentrate. When I finally got home and saw Daniel, I gave him an extra long hug.

On Thursday our PI David Schwartz (also Dean of the Department of Medicine) had the lab over to his place for happy hour. I didn't really want to go, but Daniel told me that I should take this opportunity to speak with David about my graduate school plans. Because he is so high up in the Department of Medicine, he could have some serious power in getting me into grad school. I also thought that it would be helpful to have some social interaction to diffuse any animosity that might come out when I resign next week. And when I resign I want David to know that I appreciated everything that this lab has done for me. I really didn't want to go, but these were compelling enough reasons to convince me.

I have a hard time with social situations, so an entire hour or two is pretty difficult for me. And I didn't have Daniel there as my security blanket. When I got there, I immediately noticed that I was the only technician- and the youngest person there by probably at least 6 or 7 years. But I didn't let that get to me. I immediately struck up a conversation with the person there that I knew the least- a new MD that we just hired. It was fascinating. He's from Colombia so he has a beautiful accent. And right now he sees patients on Mondays at Denver Health. That's a hospital for low-income and homeless people. He strictly sees HIV-positive patients. Combine low-income with HIV-positive and you get a very interesting clientele. I told him that I hoped to be a health care provider and we talked about what it's like to see patients. It was very informative. And I was so proud of myself for having this great conversation with someone I don't even know. As the night went on, I realized that I still hadn't talked to David at all. I kept one eye on him, but there was never an opportunity to interject. After about 2 hours, Judy suggested that we walk to our car together. So we went over to David and thanked him for hosting. I mentioned that I saw the picture of his daughter and son and he asked if I'd like to meet his son. I said yes, and he brought his son over. He is about my age, and just started school at UCDenver (where our lab is) studying economics. I told him that I had just applied there as well. David asked what program and I told him Physician's Assistant. He said that's a great program. I told him that I didn't know what my chances were of getting in, but I'm very excited. And David told me that there's no chance at all if you don't apply. So motivation #1 for attending Happy Hour was fulfilled. Then Judy left to thank David's wife, and that was the first time that I was alone with David. In my head, I'm telling myself "do it now, do it now, do it now!" so I got up the courage and turned to him and thanked him for the opportunity he gave me last summer to be a student in his lab. I also told him that I have learned so much and I am happy that I got to stay in the lab and continue working after my graduation. He told me that I've done a great job and shook my hand. Then I gracefully turned and thanked his wife, and we left. Motivation #2 fulfilled! As I left I was so proud of myself for spending almost 2 hours in a social situation with people that are much older than me, more educated than me, and that I hardly knew. I was able to have interesting conversations, and get some face time in with PI of my lab. It couldn't have gone any better. I am absolutely sure that the two glasses of wine I had helped me work up the courage to talk to David at the end. I'll have to remember that. Two glasses of wine make me a great conversationalist.

Okay seriously, in the time I have taken to write this, a PhD in the lab has asked me 5 different questions. I should be paid more.

Happy Weekend!


No comments: