Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Rough Day at Work

So our happy hour thing didn't happen. It just wasn't a good day. We ended up having to stay late to do actual work, so happy hour had to be put on hold. Hopefully we'll go next week sometime. The work we had to stay late for was really annoying. As part of our experimental design, we have to count how many of our cells die and how many live. This requires us to dye each well (of 72) for 2 minutes, then put it under the microscope and take 3 pictures which we save to the computer and count later. This method is ridiculous because the dye that we use kills cells. We're not counting cells that died due to the experiment, but cells that died due to the counting process. It takes a very long time. It's tedious and ineffective. Our results are a rough estimate at best, which makes the long hours feel useless. But we have to do it anyways. I guess everybody has times that they have to do something they don't want to because it's part of the job.

Today at work was also difficult due to some social issues. I don't really want to go into it on the internet where anyone can see it. Basically there are some people in the lab that don't get along with other people. I get along with everyone, which forces me to take sides sometimes when I'm talking to people. Or eating lunch with people. Why can't everyone just get along? It makes it very awkward for those of us who are neutral.

On the home front, things are going well as usual. I am so freaking excited for our wedding. Some days one year seems really long and other days it feels just around the corner. I have found myself kind of preparing already. In certain situations it's easier to just begin using my married name (like when getting a lab coat with your name embroidered on it, or making a new email address). And I have begun to think about how my financial situation will change.

Last night Daniel went through all of our bills and bank accounts with me so I would have a better idea of where we are financially. I don't want to be the kind of wife who lets her husband take care of all the bills and has no idea how much income or expenses they have. I want to be informed about our money. I'm pretty much always worried about money. I never feel comfortable spending money on myself or on fun things. I don't think that will ever change. But after last night, I feel better that we are able to afford rent, utilities, and groceries with our current income and expenses. It's so hard when our income is so variable. Daniel and I are both working a lot of hours right now because we're not in school. But it's hard to predict how much we'll be able to work once school starts up again in January. All I can do is make as much money as I can now and save it up. No matter what, I know that we will not be evicted or go hungry. Our families would never allow that. So I have to just be comfortable with that knowledge.

In one week we will leave for Phoenix, and then the next day we leave on our cruise! I am so ready for a vacation. Again. Work is exhausting! Or maybe that's just because of today. Today was exhausting!! And tomorrow will be too- we're harvesting 16 mice. That's a lot of work.

No comments: