Friday, June 11, 2010

We Have a Wedding Venue!

After a very long, stressful week, we have picked our wedding venue! It was really REALLY close between Aldea and Sassi. Aldea is fun, friendly, beautiful, and colorful. Sassi is elegant, sophisticated, expensive, and a little snooty. I was in love with the feel of Sassi. I thought that I would feel completely pampered having my wedding there. It's a gourmet restaurant, with a plated meal. They even offered us champagne during the tour! But, it had an arrogance about it. Our waiter during dinner was somewhat unfriendly, and Daniel felt like the lady that gave us the tour pretty much ignored him and was a little rude. Sassi doesn't include all the decorations that Aldea does, and it doesn't include the DJ, photographer, or some of the other stuff. Of course the price was lower. So when you added that stuff in, the price was pretty close between the two. But when we looked at pictures, the reception looked the same for every wedding. It had very little color. And Daniel felt that it was a bit crowded when it was set for 100, so with 150 it would be really crowded. The grand entrance was incredible though! Huge doulbe doors that open just before the bride comes down the stone staircase. The background was all desert with pinnacle peak off to the side.

Aldea was very friendly. The girl that showed us around was fun and friendly. She said yes to just about everything we asked. They have done a million weddings, and each one was different. They are very flexible. And they have an entire decorating business, so there is a whole storeroom of every color of linens imaginable, chair ties, tons of different centerpieces, and chair covers that are ALL included. They also have a photographer that they contract with who is incredible. It's called Kiss the Camera and their photographs are gorgeous. It doesn't have the secluded, exotic feel that Sassi does. It's right in the middle of the city and there's no big entrance to the courtyard where the ceremony is. However, there is an upper level that will allow for fantastic pictures during the ceremony, and a big staircase entrance as well. The reception area is huge with a big dance floor and lots of lights.

I was completely undecided between the two last night. Daniel was leaning towards Aldea, though he agreed Sassi was gorgeous. He felt that they were unfriendly. I was leaning towards Sassi because I love the luxurious feel. We kept going back and forth. I couldn't sleep at all last night and I woke up this morning exhausted, stressed, and depressed. It's ridiculous, I know, but this is an important decision! And though our parents have said all along that it's only about what we want, we both felt pressure from both sides. So I spent all day thinking about it, and finally called my sister. And after a conversation with her, it is crystal clear. She asked me "do you want your guests to leave your wedding thinking 'wow that was an expensive wedding,' or thinking 'I had a fantastic time and danced all night long.' " And the truth is, I want my wedding to be a PARTY! Not an elegant, sophisticated dinner, but a dancing all night long, drinking a little too much, party. So there you go. That's our answer. I have "worn" that decision for about 15 minutes now, and with every passing second I feel more confident that it's the right one. Thank you Nicole, I love you!!!

No comments: