Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Denver vs. Phoenix

I just realized that I have two tests next week. Anatomy, and Chemistry. Why do I never feel prepared for tests? At least I have no homework, so I can just focus on studying this weekend. And cleaning the house. Because Daniel's parents are coming on Monday night. They're staying for 3 days. His aunt and grandma (on his dad's side) are also coming. They want to see our house. So of course we want it to be clean and perfect when they come. Unfortunately, Daniel has Orientation Leader training all day on Saturday, and a camping trip with his brothers overnight until Sunday. Which means I'll probably be doing a majority of the cleaning. I'm okay with that, I like it done my way anyways.

Lately, I have been Phoenix-sick. I thought that as time went on, I would want to stay in Denver. We are getting to know the city better and making lots of friends and connections here. But I still feel like the day I graduate from DU, I will feel totally lost. I have very few connections to Denver outside of DU. And I miss Phoenix. I miss being close to my family. Every time I hear about a big family dinner, I wish so bad that I could be there. And I miss my church. I miss my very best friends that I have had since I was a little kid. Thinking about all this makes me want to move back there after we graduate. I could easily go to PA school in Phoenix. And that way when we have kids, both of our parents will be right there. I feel so lucky that my grandparents were always there for me and my brother and sister. I want that for my children too. Most of all, I want to live near my sister. I know that she doesn't live in Phoenix right now, but it's possible that she will move back there.

So now it comes down to convincing Daniel. He is absolutely sure that it's best for us to live away from our family. His parents always say that the best thing they ever did was move away from Florida, where both their families live. But I don't think that's necessarily what's right for me. I have such a hard time understanding why Daniel is so resistant to everything about Phoenix. Anytime I comment on how the weather is beautiful in Scottsdale, he insists that it's too hot there. Anytime I root for the Diamondbacks, he roots for the Rockies. Anytime I want to fly to Phoenix for a holiday, he wants to stay here. And when I wanted to have the wedding in Phoenix, he really wanted to have it in Denver- as he put it, OUR HOME. I just don't understand why he is so ANTI- Phoenix! I loved growing up there. Scottsdale is beautiful. We never had to shovel snow from the driveway, or scrape ice off the windshield. I think it is perfectly feasible to have a healthy distance from your parents and still live in the same city. Especially the 5th biggest city in the United States!

I'm going to keep talking about it and trying to convince him. No matter what, I want us to both be happy about our decision. I won't be happy living in Phoenix if Daniel is miserable there. Luckily, we have time to think about it. Two years, to be exact. Because about 23 months from now, Daniel will be done with school at DU.

1 comment:

Chris Wickersham said...

I can certainly see both of your points of view on this one. Obviously, Aimee and I left our home town and moved across the country. We both embraced Phoenix but still have our hearts in Florida. Once we had our children, however, we realized that there is nothing worth as much as having grandparents close by. We have really struggled raising our children here with no family around to help out, and it has only been recently when we got really close to some other young families at church that we have been able to really feel like we weren't going to be overwhelmed. Not that you would have that problem, but I think it's an important consideration