Thursday, May 21, 2009

It's Official....

Our offer was accepted! We offered $10,000 below asking price. It was such a great deal. The other houses in that neighborhood are worth much much more. We found out that initially the seller said "no way," but our Realtor worked on him so that he would accept our offer. The best part is that the closing date is June 16 (or sooner). Both parties want this to go as quickly as possible so there's a chance we could move in as soon as school is out! The inspection will be tomorrow morning and if that goes as planned, then Robert will be leaving on Saturday. Then both Robert and Julie will come out the weekend after that for our finals week. We have lots of plans during that week including moving in and taking them up to Estes Park to see where we want to get married. There's even a chance that they will rent the moving van and bring back the piano and everything then instead of waiting a few more weeks.

At this point, we're mostly waiting for all the bank stuff to go through. We are hoping that the seller will let us store our stuff there if we aren't able to close before June 16. We have a lot of furniture and it will be expensive to pay for a place to store it for a month. We also need to get a washer and dryer and a ton of other stuff. Daniel is pretty sure his mom is going to take us shopping at thrift stores and IKEA to pick out some stuff for the house. Right now, the plan is for us to fly back to Phoenix when finals are over and we will rent a truck to bring back a ton of stuff from there, including the piano. We will drive that back around June 16 when the closing date is.

Daniel also found a roommate for us in the summer and fall. It's one of his alumni fraternity brothers, Paul. He graduated 2 years ago, so he's 23 (I think). We get along really well. And that will help with rent for everyone. We are still hoping to get one more person, but I don't want it to be a complete stranger. Daniel has been looking at wanted ads on Craigs List just to see, but I'm really not comfortable living there with a stranger while Daniel is at the music camp. And then we will be gone for a month in Europe and it'll just be Paul and whoever else. But we'll work it out. I'm a little worried about having 2 weeks of nothing to do while Daniel's at the music camp. I have been thinking about having my mom come out with me and help us get settled and I can show her around Denver. I haven't talked to her about it yet, so we'll see.

This house stuff has been so distracting that I have been really neglecting my schoolwork. I would rather daydream than pay attention in class. And it's been such a long school year. Just one more week and I can finally relax. This was a really bad week for labs. It was our last week in biology and chemistry. It was like 90 degrees on Monday and one of my classrooms didn't have air conditioning so I wore a tank top, bermuda shorts, and flip flops. Well I came to lab that way and got yelled at by my TA. He threatened to take off 10 points, but later he said it would be no more than 5. Then on Wednesday I showed up to lab (appropriately dressed) and remembered just then that we were turning in our lab notebooks that day. I had turned mine in last quarter and never got it back from the TA. I was just making notes in my lab manual and I was going to buy a new notebook and copy them into there this week. I just completely forgot. It was worth 40 points. Because I had the observations written in my manual, she gave me 1o points, but that's still 30 off. Then we started the lab and 30 minutes into it, my lab partner knocked my beaker over. So I had to start all over. This just happened to be a lab where your glassware has to be completely dry or one of the reagents will react with water and it won't work. So I dried it very carefully with paper towels and blew air into the beaker to evaporate the water. I started the lab over again, but it didn't work. Everyone else's was a lime green color, and mine was brown. My TA asked if I put it in the drying oven for 20 minutes when I started over. Of course I didn't! I was already 30 minutes behind, I'm not going to be another 20 minutes behind just to make sure every little drop is gone. Ugh. So I cleaned up my stuff. You only lose 5 points for not having product, so it's not that big of deal. And at least I got out early.

But after all of that, I was so stressed out and feeling angry with myself. When I get bad grades, I feel like it's completely my fault: I didn't study long enough, I didn't pay enough attention in class, I didn't put in enough effort, I shouldn't have missed that one day when I slept in, etc. etc. So all of this was going through my head last night. The problem is I don't have the motivation to study longer, harder, more. It's the end of the year and I'm putting in just enough to get Bs so I can be done with all of this. All of it makes me want to just drop out of college or at least change my major to something that doesn't require 2-3 labs a week! On top of all that school stress, it's been really hard having Daniel's family here. I mean I love that they are here, and I was so excited for them to come, but it's a lot of work. Evan has been with us 24/7 for the past week. We haven't had one second to ourselves. I love him, but it's a lot. A lot of stress to have 3 people in that tiny room and all of Evan's stuff. And to have no alone time. That's hard for me. It just all built until yesterday. So at 9:00 I put on my pajamas and went to bed. I fell asleep immediately and didn't wake up until 9:00 this morning. It was exactly what I needed. I feel so much better today. And Daniel is taking Evan to the airport right now which means that we will have some time together for the first time in almost a week. I'm really looking forward to it :-)

No comments: