Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Rough Weekend

This weekend was really hard.  On Saturday, Elijah came down with a serious stomach bug.  I think this is the sickest he's been in his short little life.  The first tip off was when he napped for 2 and a half hours!  His naps have normally been around 45 minutes, or an hour at the most.  After he woke up we fed him and then while we were changing his clothes, he vomited repeatedly.  It was pretty lucky that he was naked and on the changing table when that happened.  It was so sad, but he seemed totally fine afterward.  So we packed him up and took him to the grocery store.  He vomited again on the way to the store, and he immediately fell back asleep.  After a 2 and a half hour nap!  So we knew he wasn't feeling good.  When we got home he woke up for a little bit.  I held him on my lap while I watched TV and before I even realized it, he was back asleep on my shoulder.  He dozed on and off the rest of the evening.  He did play for a little bit with Daniel.  He could only muster up the energy to lift his head off my shoulder for a few minutes to play peek-a-boo.  He still had his beautiful smile though!  I felt so bad for him, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed the extra cuddles.

On Sunday he seemed much more himself.  He kept down some milk, thank goodness.  We tried to give him pedialyte and he did NOT like that.  We also tried some squash on Sunday for the first time.  He had a few bites, then gagged, and refused to eat anymore.  He wouldn't even eat cereal after that, which he normally scarfs down like he's starving.  His faces were so funny!  I was laughing out loud at his disgusted faces, poor boy.  We also gave him a carrot to play with (and taste).  He liked playing with it a lot, but I don't think much got into his belly.


Monday was really rough.  I had the day off work (thank you, state government job!) but Daniel had to work and Elijah's day care was closed.  So it was just me and Elijah.  I thought it would be fun to spend the day together.  I really wanted to go to the library, but it was closed.  The day didn't start out great.  He woke up crying at 6:00am and wouldn't go back to sleep.  so I didn't get to sleep in at all on my day off.  He was whiney and fussy all morning.  He finally took a nap at around 8:30, but only slept for 40 minutes.  An hour later, he was ready for another nap, but this time he only slept for 20 minutes.  He had a little cough that came around only when he was sleeping.  I think it might have woken him up from that nap and then he just couldn't go back to sleep.  But, strangely, he sat in his swing awake and happy for another 30 minutes!  I kept thinking I should go in there and get him, but if he's happy then why mess with it, right?  So I left him there.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get much done because I kept thinking he was going to start whining soon.  He woke up in a much better mood and played for nearly 4 hours!  At 2:30, I fed him a bottle, and I passed out asleep without me even realizing.  It made sense that he was tired, but he didn't fuss or anything.  So I just put him in his crib and he didn't move.  But.... 15 minutes later and he was awake.  And wouldn't go back to sleep.  I was so exhausted and frustrated.  He had slept for about an hour TOTAL split between three naps.  He should be sleeping closer to 2 1/2 to 3 hours in naps during the day.  I called Daniel and begged him to come home early, but he couldn't.  I felt like such a failure as a mom.  Like I can't do one day at home with him.  Other moms are home with their baby every single day.  Daniel tried to reassure me, but I still felt inadequate.  It was a hard day.  The weird thing is, when Daniel came home and offered to take Elijah for an hour or two I didn't want him to go.  Being a mom is so emotional.  I feel like I'm PMSing all the time.

I really hope he does better at day care today.  I'm sure he will.  We need to get back into our schedule, and he'll be just fine.  He's the best baby ever.

No comments: