Monday, February 25, 2013

Abuela's Weekend

This weekend it was mine and Daniel's turn to get sick.  Thursday morning Daniel called me from work and asked if I was feeling okay.  I said yes, and he told me that he was not.  He had a horrible headache and was a bit achey and sensitive to touch.  I told him he should go home, but he ignored me.  He made it all the way until 4:00 and then finally left work.  I picked up Elijah from day care and was feeling totally fine.  Then I got in the car and on the drive home, it hit me.  I had a headache and nausea.  When I got home I was so determined to let Daniel rest that I took on all the chores and taking care of Elijah.  After 30 minutes, I couldn't handle it anymore.  I had to lay down and let Daniel help.  The nausea just got worse and worse.  When it was time to start Elijah's bedtime routine, we were both at our worst.  We realized that we couldn't take care of Elijah on our own. Daniel called our friends Eric and Hannah to see if they could come over and help just until Elijah was in bed.  We put Elijah in the bathtub and he played happily for 35 minutes.  It was such a relief.  We took turns standing next to the bathtub and laying on the couch until Eric and Hannah got to our house.  By then I was totally useless, so Daniel helped them put Elijah to sleep.  I finally vomited all of my lunch and felt a bit better.  I went straight to bed at 6:30 and stayed there until morning.  Of course I had to drag myself out of bed to pump every 3 hours and once in the middle of the night.  It was torturous, but I did it.  When I pumped in the middle of the night that was enough to send me over the edge and I vomited again.  It was awful.  Friday morning Daniel drove Elijah to day care and I stayed in bed.  I started to get chills, body aches, and headache too.  By then Daniel was starting to feel better.  When he left to pick up his Mom at the airport around 2:30, I felt horrible.  I was taking ibuprofen to help with the body aches and headache, and it didn't help at all.  I finally gave in and took aceteminophen and I felt better almost instantly.  I was trying to stick with the ibuprofen because it is safest for breastfeeding (even though aceteminophen is still pretty safe).  I'm glad I finally gave in.  By the time Daniel got home with his Mom and Elijah, I felt so much better and I was able to get out of bed and spend time with them.

So this weekend Julie was here.  I emailed the whole family when I heard about a great price on plane tickets between Phoenix and Denver, and she took advantage of it to come out here for a visit.  I am so glad she did.  I want Elijah to have plenty of time with his grandparents, even when he's too young to remember it.  It was a great visit.  Elijah was so charming.  He smiled at her so big and babbled and played.  While she was here, we made a ton of baby food and froze it.  We bought a bunch of fresh vegetables and fruits (peas, green beans, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and peaches) at the grocery store and pureed them with our baby food mill we got for Christmas.  And Elijah got to try sweet potatoes for the first time!  Julie loved feeding him and seeing his reaction.  Of course, he LOVED it and ate it all up.  He loves to eat so much.  So far, with squash and sweet potatoes, he will gobble up an ice cube (about a tablespoon) in less than 5 minutes!  And he doesn't leave any on his mouth or bib.  It all ends up in his belly.  We also spent Saturday morning buying a whole new wardrobe for Elijah in the 6-9 month size.  He's getting close to outgrowing his current size, and we had almost nothing in the next size.  We went to a local consignment store and then to Old Navy to fill in everything we couldn't find at the consignment store.  It was so much fun and Julie was very generous.  On Sunday, we played bells in church.  Elijah was perfect.  He happily played in his car seat while we rehearsed in the early morning.  Then he let all the ladies hold him and smiled at everyone.  We put him in the nursery during the first service and when we came back to pick him up afterwards, he was asleep in the babysitter's arms.  He stayed asleep while we put him in the carseat and drove to pick up Julie.  In fact, he stayed asleep for the next 90 minutes- all the way into the second service. Then he woke up and smiled and played quietly during the service.  Everybody thought he was just delightful (and I did too!).  Julie just couldn't get over what a good boy he was.  The whole morning was complicated quite a bit by a huge snowstorm that blew in.  The snow started Saturday night and came down hard literally all day on Sunday.  It was so bad that there were about 30 people who showed up for the second service at church.  By then the roads were horrible and the walkways were covered in close to 6 inches of snow.  It was all very foreign and adventurous to Julie.  It's too bad because she really hates the cold and snow.  But for one day she could handle it.  After church we got some lunch and then went home and stayed home while the snow continued to fall.  Elijah took another great nap, giving us the whole afternoon to relax.  We put him to sleep, shoveled a TON of snow, and cooked a beautiful dinner before sitting down to watch the Oscars.  We all guessed the winner in each category and kept score.  I won by a landslide!  I got 13 correct while Daniel and Julie each got 10.  Julie watched most of the movies, and Daniel and I only saw one- Argo.

Overall it was just a delightful weekend.  Julie got plenty of time with Elijah and he was a perfect happy little baby.  We got a freezer full of baby food puree and a closet full of clothes for Elijah.  Julie saw us play bells in church, and met the whole bell choir.  She also got to see Elijah's classroom and meet all his teachers.  And we all got to spend some time together.

No comments: