Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Saving Money

It's very frustrating that the new job hasn't moved forward much in the last week.  It got stuck in HR- where everything seems to get stuck around here.  But it seems that everything is still on track for me to start on October 1.  I'll put in my 2 weeks' notice next Monday.  Word has started to spread slowly around the lab.  I doubt I'll get any sort of recognition.  I think if I had stayed until graduate school, I probably would have gotten some kind of celebratory "good luck in grad school" party.  But since I'm leaving for another lab, it's a little different.  But I am very VERY excited for the raise!  This is going to increase our income by almost $600 a month.  That is huge for us.  We still need to save $2500 more to reach our goal for our wedding and honeymoon, so in 2 months just that increase will get us halfway there.  We have been consistently saving about $600 a month on my current salary, so if we continue with that trend it looks like we'll just make it.  What a relief!  I think it is very encouraging that we can live on my $25k salary and still have over $500 left to put in savings.  That means that when Daniel starts working full-time, we will be able to save a lot more.  And for a while, every extra penny will go towards student loans.  After our honeymoon, of course :-)

Last week I started auditing a course here on campus on basic immunology.  The only immunology I have learned has been picked up little by little as I do research in the lab.  After 2 classes, so many holes have been filled that help me understand the research so much better.  I hope I will be able to continue taking the class after I move to the new lab.  The professor is absolutely incredible.  It's obvious he's a very visual person because he explains everything through drawings or acting things out in class.  It's very amusing when he uses people in the class as props.  I love this because I'm a visual person too.  Giving human personalities, emotions, and motivations to things like antibodies and T-cells makes everything so much easier to understand and remember.  One of my favorite things in the world is learning something new, and having a fantastic professor to teach me makes it even better.  Every day I am reaffirmed in my fascination with the human body.  I am a born scientist.  Third generation, in fact!

Work has been inordinately frustrating lately.  I have been running a million qPCRs and every third time the instrument fails in some way and I have to repeat the experiment.  It takes about half a day to do each plate, so when one fails that's half a day completely wasted.  And the reagents and materials to run one plate cost a couple thousand dollars.  That's not much in science terms, but it's still waste.  The most frustrating part is that I always feel like it's my fault.  Even when the instrument fails I feel like it's my fault.

Yesterday was my first day of not going to school.  To me it still feels like summer break.  I wonder when it will hit me that everyone else is in school and I'm not.  Maybe when it starts to get cold.  I am loving what I'm doing right now.  Compared to school, working feels so completely productive.  I actually get paid for working 40 hours a week, instead of paying thousands of dollars to work 60 hours a week.  I have more free time than I ever did in school and less stress too.  Although, I can't imagine having kids and working full-time.  I think it would feel like I never see them.  But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

No comments: