Sunday, March 20, 2011

My Spring Break

Wow this week went by so fast! And we got so much done on the wedding.

I had my first dress fitting on Monday. It's going to need a lot of work and at least 2 more fittings to get it right. I'm very "petite" so all the proportions are wrong. The torso needs to be shortened and the entire top taken in. Alterations are so expensive, but I can't wait to see the dress when it's all finished and fits me perfectly. My Mom also started planning the wedding shower. She's had lots of offers from family and friends to throw it for me, so they're all going to work on it together. We're having one big one instead of a bunch of little ones. Nicole has also already planned the bachelorette party. I know virtually nothing about it. Daniel opened a registry for us at Target. We're also going to do Crate and Barrel. That will be fun to pick out all our gifts!

I met with the florist on Tuesday along with Daniel's mom and my Grandma. I surprised myself by going completely non-traditional. No little balls of compact flowers. Instead, we'll have very tall and linear bouquets of dendrobium orchids. The flowers will be purple to contrast with the teal. My bouquet is a cascade style with all white flowers. It's going to be very different and modern. Exactly what Daniel and I wanted.

On Wednesday, we met with the flower girls and their parents. My mom is making their little matching dresses. They will be black and white with a teal ribbon around the waist. My mom measured them, though of course they'll grow some in the next 8 months. They're going to be adorable. Also on Wednesday we met with the bakery to try some cake and pick the design. Daniel wasn't happy with my choices so we'll probably be changing that. But the design was mostly his decision. I decided to add our monogram on the middle tier. I really like the way that looks. My mom and I also bought some things for the table centerpieces and the flower girl baskets. She is going to embellish them a little bit, and make the pillow from the same material as the girls' dresses.

On Thursday I went shoe shopping with Beth and Tyler and found the most perfect shoes. I couldn't have imagined shoes any better for my wedding. They are very me and go well with the gown as well. Tyler was very helpful in selecting the shoes- he made sure to ask if they were comfortable. He's such a boy!

On Friday we had the food tasting. I brought almost my whole family- my parents, my brother, my grandparents, and Daniel's parents. It was surprisingly easy because everyone agreed on their favorites. The food was absolutely delicious and I am thrilled with what we picked. There's going to be a lot of food left over I'm sure. The manager at the restaurant brought out so many dishes to try we were all completely stuffed by the end- and it was all free. He was so friendly and helpful. That was a really fun dinner.

On Saturday, we assembled and mailed the save the dates. I designed them and ordered them earlier in the week. I even went to the post office to buy special stamps and spent all night Friday printing out the labels. That was quite a job in itself. Daniel's mom and my mom helped me stuff, address, and stamp the envelopes. We spent all week gathering the addresses we needed and there are still about 10 that we are going to hand-deliver (Daniel's fraternity brothers) because we never got their addresses.

While I was doing all that in Phoenix, Daniel was busy making the final music selections, picking out and ordering all the guys' tuxedos, researching vows, and picking out his wedding ring. He was busy too! I can't believe how much we got done in one week. What a relief! There are still so many little things to do, but I feel like I have a few months before I need to think about any of that stuff.

While I was in Phoenix I also visited Midwestern University. I was surprised and impressed by the campus. It's beautiful! It was so hot the day I was there, I wasn't really dressed appropriately. I found out about all the prerequisites and the application process and took a tour of campus. The biggest thing I'm worried about is that I need some sort of direct patient care experience to put on my application. The more, the better. I have none right now, and I want to turn in the application over the summer. So I have just a few months to figure that out. I think a paid job is going to be difficult to get, so I have applied to volunteer at a few local hospitals. If I can get in 4-8 hours a week for the next 10 weeks that should be pretty good. I'm also planning on studying for the GRE. I need to do as well as possible to make myself a competitive applicant. I am so nervous that I won't get into either program. I don't know what I'll do if that happens. I have my whole life planned out, with no plan B. So I'm going to do everything I can to get accepted.

The prospect of moving back to Phoenix is exciting. I never thought I would end up back there, but if I get into Midwestern that could become a very real possibility. Daniel has already told me that he will move anywhere I get into PA school, including Phoenix. Though he's not thrilled about the idea. At least it's in Glendale. That's far enough from our family that they won't just pop in when they're in the neighborhood. I don't know much about that part of town, but from what I saw it's a really great place to live. I think it's pretty affordable too.

Today is my last day of Spring Break. Tomorrow it's back to school. This quarter will be much easier than last quarter. I think I will be spending much more time focused on what will happen after school. I will be applying to graduate school, studying for the GRE, volunteering to get experience, and applying for full-time jobs. That will definitely make up for the lighter class schedule. But I'm excited to see what will happen next in our lives. I can't believe that I'll be making enough money to support us in just 12 weeks (if all goes according to plan anyways).

No comments: