Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Job

I may have been a bit overdramatic yesterday. But I think when it comes to finances, it's not a bad thing to be extra conscientious. However, I'm pretty sure that I don't need to start worrying until I have 2 weeks left until graduation and no job. I didn't sleep at all last night because I was stressed out about all of this. The worst thing about it is that Daniel and I argued about whether he should quit his job. I hate arguing about money. We don't argue very often at all, and when we do it ruins my whole night. Daniel and I both have the same goals, and no matter what happens we're in this together. Of course we quickly realized that and both of us calmed down. Daniel told me that no matter what, we're going to be fine. We're both growing up at the same time and figuring life out together.

I feel so lucky to already have someone to share my life with- someone that I can rely on to be there no matter what. And someone that I trust to make smart decisions that will be good for both of us. It's funny because I was talking with some friends about that a few weeks ago. Many of my friends are so far from marriage that they are very curious about what it's like to already be in a committed relationship. When I explained that it's comforting to have someone there for you no matter what, always on your side, they thought that was so sweet and romantic. I just thought it was the truth. I guess it's hard to see your own life as romantic. But it's true. I'm so lucky to have that, and I know a lot of people that wish they had it.

Well today I'm feeling much more optimistic- mostly because I applied for 3 more jobs. So at least I'm trying. I think I was frustrated because last time I looked, a few weeks ago, there wasn't very many entry-level positions open. But this time I found 3! So there's hope. It also seems that Daniel may have found a way to keep his job and fulfill his ensemble requirement. It doesn't solve the problem of being very stressed out and having absolutely no free time, but sometimes that's what you have to do to pay the bills. I'm going to do everything I can to help him though. And that means taking care of the house, the dog, the cooking, the cleaning, taking the bus to school if I have to.... I'll do anything I can to help him because he's bringing home the bacon.

I sort of realized today that I only have 8 weeks left of my job. That makes me really sad. Even more sad than the fact that I only have 8 weeks left of school. Is that bad? I've spent 3 1/2 years at DU, and I'm ready to go. I guess that's a good thing. But my job... I don't think I'm ready to leave that. I love my job. I've been there 18 months; I don't remember what my life is like without it! I love the people, I love the work, I love learning new things, I love being recognized and appreciated by my boss. I am going to miss my friends there so much. I really hope we can stay in touch. A few of them are invited to the wedding, so hopefully that will be an incentive. I just can't believe that it's over in a few weeks. The lab is moving, and I will have to get a full-time job somewhere else. I will be really lucky if I can find another work environment as good as this one. The people are so welcoming, appreciative, flexible, encouraging, patient... they let me come in at 10am if I feel like sleeping in, and let me take off 2 weeks when I'm completely overwhelmed with school. They also let me (I want to!) come in on Saturday to help with a mouse exposure. We've gone out for happy hour on the boss's tab, had dinner and a movie with just the girls at my boss' cabin up in the mountains, a Christmas party, an ice cream party just for the students, and a huge family picnic at the zoo. They've heard about every wedding planning detail, every final exam, every trip back to Phoenix. They've met my parents, my sister, and even all my in-laws. This job allowed me to feel like a real Denver resident for the first time. I got off campus, and got to know members of the community who weren't students. Most of all, they taught me skills that will give me a huge advantage when applying for jobs. I need to make these last 8 weeks count.

No comments: