Monday, December 2, 2013

Elijah's Second Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  I'm hesitant to write that down, because I love a lot of other holidays, but every year when it comes around I'm pretty sure Thanksgiving is my favorite.  This year had some awful aspects (Elijah getting horribly sick), but overall it was pretty fantastic.  Like probably the best family visit we've had since Elijah was born.  So I can't decide how to characterize the trip.  I want to say that it was great and perfect and a blast, but there was the whole Elijah getting a fever and being horribly grumpy and sad for a good chunk of the trip.

On Wednesday, Daniel picked up Elijah from school.  He noticed that Elijah was very tired, which was weird because he took a great nap that day.  But I was happy to hear that because I wanted him to go to bed early since we all had to get up before 5am the next morning.  He went to bed a full hour early without a problem.  The next morning our plan was to get ourselves ready, get the car packed up, and then grab Elijah and put him right into the car where he would hopefully fall back asleep.  I wasn't optimistic that this would work, but hey guess what- it did.  Elijah went back to sleep within 10 minutes and slept for another 20 minutes until we got to the airport.

We got through security in record time. Somehow we were sorted into the TSA pre-check line which was about the awesomeset thing ever- shoes left on, liquids left in the bag, no line at all.  We got to the gate about 20 minutes before boarding started.

Once we were on the plane, we turned a movie on the iPad.  Elijah sat in my lap facing the iPad and before we even took off, he was asleep again.

I was pleasantly surprised, but still not concerned.  I figured it was because we woke him up so early, and maybe the white noise on the plane contributed a little bit.  30 minutes into the flight he woke up crying, but we were able to calm him down and he was fine.  He ate a good amount of fruit.  The flight went really quickly.  We went straight to Daniel's parents' house.  Elijah was okay, but pretty whiney and clingy.  Again, we chalked it up to the early morning, the chaos of getting on a plane and then ending up in a new environment with people he really doesn't know that well.  We went over to my parents' house and finally we put him down for a nap at 11:30am.  He slept.  And slept.  And slept.  3 hours later dinner was ready, so we decided to wake him up.  Again, not concerned.  We put him in the high chair with some sweet potatoes, turkey, and cranberry jello.  He didn't eat a crumb.  Nothing.  I figured he was groggy from the long nap, and brushed it off.  He played for a few hours, seeming to be totally fine.  He happily sat on his great grandma's lap and great grandpa's lap.  Around 5pm we headed back to Daniel's parents' house.  My grandma told me that she thought he felt warm.  I brushed it off.  When we arrived at my in-laws' house, he wasn't very happy.  He wanted to be held, refused to smile, and just seemed off.  But still, I chalked it up to the early day and new environment/people.  We put him in the high chair (again) with some thanksgiving food.  He didn't touch it.  He sat in the chair with his head slumped over to the side and a vacant stare.  I remember looking at him, and saying over and over "this is not right, this is not normal."  I felt him and he was hot.  It was scary.  Once we realized what was going on, everyone jumped into action.  Daniel started the bath.  I drove to Walgreens to get childrens' tylenol.  Evan and Kristy started to clean him up and undress him.  By the time I got back he was out of the bath and in his PJs.  Evan and Kristy read him some books and Kristy held him for the 3 minutes it took for him to fall asleep.  At 6:15pm.



He was up all night whining, whimpering, and crying.  Daniel ended up sleeping with him on the couch.

  When he woke up he was still very hot and didn't eat anything for the whole next day.  He was still whiney and clingy, and refused to smile all day.  His fever went away by late morning, but his appetite didn't come back at all.  He took another 3 hour nap.  It was so very sad.  We went to the park in the morning and he enjoyed that, but he nearly fell asleep in the stroller.

Finally on Saturday he seemed much more himself.  His grandparents finally got to see some smiles and spend some happy time together.



It is so amazing to see how happy our parents get when they are with Elijah.  He is such a loved little boy.  Everyone in the family can't get enough of him.  We are so lucky to have the amazing family we do.  Everyone was on their best behavior this weekend and we all had a fantastic time together.  Elijah was horribly sick, but for some reason that really didn't ruin the trip at all.  I was kind of glad that I was in Phoenix.  It kept me calm and distracted me.  This was only the second fever of Elijah's life, and this was by far the most sick he's ever been.  But I was able to respond appropriately without getting too freaked out and overreacting.  I was so glad to have lots of people willing to hold him because that's all he wanted for two solid days.  He didn't smile or laugh at all Thursday or Friday.  But on Saturday he made up for it.

No comments: