Thursday, June 7, 2012

Buying a House

Finally, after MONTHS of emails, phone calls, and paperwork we are closing on our home!  Tomorrow morning at 8am we will sign the papers and Daniel and I will officially be homeowners.  I thought it would be 10 or 15 years before we would be able to afford our own home.  But thanks to Daniel's incredibly generous parents, at 23 years old we will own our home.  And the best part of the whole thing is that it is costing us much less than we thought.  We set aside about $5000 when we began the whole process to pay for closing costs.  We found out today that it will cost us $132.  So that's $4968 we can put into savings that we weren't counting on.  Which is extremely helpful considering we just spent $4000 on a down payment for our new car.  Once again, our penny-pinching ways are paying off.  

After we sign the papers tomorrow morning we will drive to DU where Daniel will be given his academic hood.  He finished his Master's degree!  I am so incredibly proud of him.  Eight years ago when he struggled to pass freshman English and Earth Science, I would have never guessed that he would be the first of all our siblings to get his master's degree.  And I would have never guessed that he would complete college with excellent grades- nearly straight A's.  It gives me such confidence that he will be able to support me and our family for the rest of our lives.  

Starting next week, for the first time in our memorable lives, neither of us will be in school.  I wonder how it will feel.  Tomorrow evening is the official commencement ceremony where he will walk across the stage in cap and gown, and this time- his hood too.  Last year at our undergraduate ceremony I remember thinking ahead to this year and picturing Daniel with a hood on his gown.  I definitely did not expect that I would be in the audience 6 months pregnant.  But that's what's so much fun about life- it's unpredictable!

So, in the month of May (plus the first week of June) we did the following: bought a house, bought a car, finished a Master's degree, entered the third trimester of our first pregnancy, and gained a future sister-in-law.  Quite a month!  I'm so excited to see what June, July, and August bring!  And of course, September when our little Elijah will make his way into the world.

No comments: