Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cap and Gown

I picked up my cap and gown today, and finally I am feeling the excitement! Like seriously, I am over-the-top bubbling-with-energy excited. The cap and gown are beautiful, and we all get these gorgeous satin stoles that are randomly distributed in crimson and gold. Daniel and I both got gold. My tassle is gold, and Daniel's is white. I'm not sure what that means, maybe BA is white and BS is gold? I'll find out. But anyways, the whole ensemble is gorgeous! The gown is so much nicer than our high school one- it's very similar to a choir robe with all the pleats and everything. Now I see why we're just renting them and not buying them like our gross polyester high school gowns. I'm just so excited to put it all on, and walk through Magness Arena surrounded by my classmates. In high school, I didn't feel much of a sense of accomplishment at all. I felt like everyone graduates from high school and it's virtually impossible not to unless you never show up. But this time, it's completely different. I worked hard for four years to earn the right to walk with my class wearing the cap and gown. And there are plenty of people who dream of going to college and never get the opportunity. I am so lucky that my family values education enough to save up money from the time we were born so I could attend the college I wanted to. And now for the rest of my life I will have this degree. And this ceremony puts me one step closer to my ultimate dream- becoming a physician's assistant.

That reminds me, I got my official GRE scores today. I scored better than 95% of test takers in the last 10 years on the verbal section. That is unbelievable to me. I am really proud of myself. I scored in the 80th percentile in quantitative (math) and 84th percentile in writing. That is just astounding. I am in the top 20% of all people who take the GRE and presumably are applying to graduate school. I must have really been on top of my game when I took the test! I scored a 5/6 in writing, which is way more than I hoped for. I didn't even study that hard for writing because for the PA program they don't really care that much. And I HATE writing more than anything in the whole world. I always considered myself to be pretty bad at it too- but on that day I guess I was in the right mood to write some pretty good essays. I am feeling much more confident about my ability to get into CU's PA program now. In just 6 months I should be finding out if I am accepted into the program!

I took one final exam today, and I have two tomorrow. So I should finish up this blog and go study for the last time in the next year! Wow this is the first moment I realized that it will be at least one whole year before I will have to take another test. Or write another paper, or attend another lecture. Freedom is less than 24 hours away!!

No comments: